Learn What To Do When You Are Involved In An Accident Where You Caused Damage To Public Property

About Me
boosting home value during an appraisal

Five years ago, my husband and I flipped our first house. That project was one of the biggest learning experiences of my life. We had to find our way through a complicated project without losing the money that we had invested. One thing that we learned about was getting appraisals done on properties. Unfortunately, we had to learn this lesson the hard way. We didn't have an appraisal done before we started the renovation and when we finished, the value of the home didn't increase enough to give us the profit we wanted. Since then, we learned what projects will boost the value during an appraisal and what won't.

Learn What To Do When You Are Involved In An Accident Where You Caused Damage To Public Property

17 July 2017
 Categories: , Blog

Accidents can happen at any time when you are behind the wheel. If you are involved in an accident that caused you to cause damage to a piece of public property, it is important to know what to do to ensure that you do not overpay for the repairs that need to be done. The following guide walks you through the process that needs to take place when you damage public property to ensure that you pay a fair cost for the repairs.

Contact the Police

When you are involved in an accident, you need to contact the police right away. This will allow there to be a record of what took place so that you can provide an accurate account to your insurance company later on down the road. Be sure to take pictures of your vehicle and any damage that you caused.

Meet with the Insurance Company's Adjuster

When you damage property, the insurance company will send out an insurance adjuster that they have hired to determine the value of the damage that you caused. They will take everything into account to determine how much you will have to pay out of pocket toward the damage and how much they are willing to cover. They will assess how much they think it will cost to repair the damage to determine how much will and will not be covered.

Hire a Public Insurance Adjuster

Before you agree to pay for any of the damage, you need to hire a public insurance adjuster to do a private evaluation for you. The public insurance adjuster will not have the agenda of the insurance company on their mind when they do the assessment like the insurance adjuster that works for the insurance company will have. If the two amounts that the adjusters come up with differ, negotiations may have to take place so that the amount that you pay for the damage is as fair as it can possibly be.

You need to be sure to contact your insurance company, like The People's Choice Public Adjuster, right away. This will allow them to get the ball rolling on the appraisals to ensure that you do not overpay for the repairs that will need to be made. Provide them with the police report for what happened during the accident so that you can have proof of what happened and what areas you actually damaged so that no additional damage can be claimed later on down the road.